Nokia Maps 3.1 Screenshots
Nokia Maps2.0 Screenshots
Nokia Maps 1.2 Screenshots
How good are Nokia Maps?
I wrote this piece back in 2007 using Nokia maps1.0, since then Nokia OVI Maps 3.1 has been released, but i have kept the article for the example it gives.
How well can you trust a navigation system on a N95? Can you trust them to have The Force and get you where you want to go?
A few things to note all the navigation tips i used are free to use on the N95, You can buy Licensed voice activation which would have cost me a bit but i didn't need to use it. So you can disable network connection (Internet GPRS) for the Maps (Not GPS) as there is no need to use an internet signal unless you going to use the voice activation feature. The GPS connection is free.
Well i put Nokia Maps to the test in the USA, First they were very useful in finding where all the shops were in areas that i didn't know, as you can see below, It made it simple to find the main shopping street once i had selected the Shops Category in the Maps settings.
Using On Foot Navigation for free on N95
I used the By Foot navigation setting rather than By Car.
1. Open the Nokia maps application and then create a route by using the Find Place or Use This Place feature.
2. Then you can create a Route from or Route to and select the locations.
3. Now from the Options Show route, you will now see the route but for me it's much simpler to use the Show on Map feature from the options. Once you have worked out which way round you are! You can use the Navigation Key Up to move through the marked points, as shown below.
In the images above, the Process Bar shows you how far you have walked (in this case) which is really helpful, if you don't know exactly where you are going!
Can Nokia Maps to find a location over 5 Kms away through trees and hills?
I set off on a 5km walk to a ferry port, and trusted that, Nokia maps could get me there, It took me through main roads, small streets and over hills, which would have been quite complicated to plot not to mention needing a details local map. I was amazed how accurate the information was on individual shops, odd hairdresser's and Garden Centres.
After two hours or so of walking i arrived at the ferry port, extremely please with myself and Nokia maps for getting me there.
Obi-Wan would have been very proud of Nokia Maps for having THE FORCE and getting me easily to my destination.
GPS, Nokia Maps and Mobile GMaps Tutorials
I have created 2 tutorials for:
1) GPS activation on N95
2) Nokia Maps installation and use on N95
1) GPS Data
The N95 has of course an internal GPS Global Positioning System. This means you can locate where ever you are in the world (in theory).
This Gps position is shown in latitude /longitude coordinates and does not shown your position in a maps image.
You will therefore need to install some maps or software to view an image of your position.
Many people have experienced problems acquiring a satellite signal , so this tutorial will show you how to check your global position.
Nokia's tips on getting satellite signal can be found here.
A) First Open the GPS data application in your phone menu. It may be in Application folder. A dialog box will appear saying "Searching for GPS satellites".
To view the connection status Select Position/ Open/ Options/ Satellite status.
You will see white bars appear, it should take from around 2 minutes to 5 minutes for the gps to lock onto your signal. remember to follow nokia's tips , keep the slider open, do not cover the #key and you need to be outside.
when connection is established your bars will start going black (At least 3 bars needed)
You can now select "Back" and your position coordinates will appear on the screen.
Now you will need to decide how to view your position using a Map or satellite image (Google satellite)
2) Nokia Maps
Maps 3.1 is a free application available for the N95. You can add Map data from different countries using the Nokia Suite. You can also use it as a SATNAV whether walking or driving. It can calculate a route for free but the voice navigation is not free. To get the latest version follow the guide below:
1. The Maps app should be preinstalled in your phone. You can update the App to the latest version 3.1 via the Nokia Suite. To download the Nokia Suite for PC go HERE. Once you have installed the Nokia Suite connect your phone via USB cable select "PC Suite" on the phone.
2. Select the "Software Update" from the toolbar to check if you have the latest version. Once you have completed any updates go the the Maps Icon on the toolbar. Now you will see a list of various countries that you can download for your phone. Select download and the data will be downloaded and installed into your connected phone.
3. Open the Maps application located in your Phone Menu. The application will open to the last saved location.You can change the Map Mode, Angle of View, Add or remove Categories ( Hotels, Hospitals etc.) to suite your preference.You can "Plan Route" from one location to another and change the transport mode from "By Car" to "On foot". To get the Satellite view with houses and trees etc. you will need to have a mobile data plan or WiFi connection.